Release 0.3 - We All Need Some Space

For Release 0.3, I originally planned on working on another Brave desktop browser bug, but after perusing the open bug list, I wasn't sure if I could find anything that really took my interest. Thus, I began to search.

Toiling through Github's repos, looking for a project that was in javascript (a current preference for myself) I came across an interesting concept - an in-browser debugger. This project, aptly named Debugger.html, allows users to debug a web page in real time, without any other external programs. This means you can add breakpoints, run commands, etc.. in a more functional environment as opposed to the "inspect element" function of commonplace browsers. Currently, the project is focused on Firefox, but a Chrome implementation is also in progress.

The bug that I had chosen to work on regarded a visual issue, where there was no padding for one of the panels on the page. This caused the information inside to clump together, and did not follow the padding rules that the other panels followed. The actual issue page can be found here.

My initial thoughts going into this were as followed:
 1. This was likely fixed through CSS
 2. There are probably quite a few CSS files to wade through
 3. Inspect Element will be a good friend


After some searching, testing, and fruitless efforts I noticed this class:


It appeared that the list of elements were all embedded in this "accordion" class. As such, I began to look around Accordion.css. I had found a class inside that matched up with the element spoken about in the issue. As expected, adding a padding to this class worked! I uploaded the file to my forked repo, and issued a pull request. I thought that this would be the end to the bug, and considered looking around for another bug to work on. As I was however, I received a message from one of the developers, stating that changing this class' Css would create a multitude of issues in other areas that I wasn't aware of. He did however, suggest a .js file that might point me in the right direction.

It was back to the drawing board, but with a hint towards what I needed to look for, I was optimistic. As it turns out, the file that the developer had suggested turned out to be the wrong file, but it WAS implemented next to the actual file I needed to look at! This file did not have any connection to a css file, which would explain the fact that there was no padding. I added an import to the Css file in charge of the "Secondary Panes" (The right sidebar elements). In addition, I added a class in the Css file that would catch all divs inside the specific class and add a 4 px padding. A compilation later, and everything was working! I reverted my original changes on my repo and added in my new ones. As of now, I am waiting on a response from the reviewers to see if my request is able to be merged. 

Changing the project I worked on for 0.3 was a refreshing change. Although it was another browser related project, it had a nice change of pace. It allowed me to hone my investigative skills, as well as my understanding of how larger projects function. I will keep in contact with the reviewers, and perform any further changes needed to have my pull request accepted.

Comments

Popular Posts